How long can I expect a new shingle roof to last?
Learn From The Best Roofers In Cedar Rapids Iowa
So, how long does a new asphalt shingle roof last? Asphalt shingles are the most common roofing material in the United States because they are affordable, durable, and include warranties of up to 25 years. Made of fiberglass and asphalt sealant, asphalt shingles can effectively protect your roof structure from snow, wind, rain, and harsh UV rays. There are three primary types of asphalt shingles and they all have different life expectancies:
- Three-tab shingles — 10-20 years
- Architectural/dimensional shingles — 15-25 years
- Premium/luxury shingles — 20-30 year
Asphalt shingles, the most common type of roofing material sold today, are installed on more than 80% of new homes because they’re affordable (averaging $70 to $150 per square) and include warranties of up to 25 years. Composed of a variety of ingredients, including organic materials and cement fibers, they provide a durable layer of protection from UV rays, wind, and rain. The shingles’ underside features a layer of black asphalt that becomes sticky in the hot sun and seals the roofing in place to form a watertight seal.
What factors impact how long your roof lasts?
- Material – The materials used in your roof will affect how long it lasts. Cheaper materials won’t cost as much upfront but will have to be replaced more often than other expensive roofing materials.
- Underlayment – Roofing underlayment is a water-resistant or waterproof barrier material installed over your roof deck. An investment in underlayment may add years to your roof.
- Ventilation – A well-vented attic can add years from one roof replacement to the next. Affordable products like ridge vents and eave vents are critical to proper ventilation.
- Installation – A poor-quality installation will shorten your roof’s lifespan. The expertise and skill of your roofer directly affect how long your roof lasts. Choose professionals like Columbus Roofing Co and that is what you’ll get.